What's New in Edge Rails: Set Flash in redirect_to

at 12:39 PM on Sunday, December 20, 2009

This feature is schedule for: Rails v2.3 stable

Rails’ flash is a convenient way of passing objects (though mostly used for message strings) across http redirects. In fact, every time you set a flash parameter the very next step is often to perform your redirect w/ redirect_to:

class UsersController < ApplicationController
  def create
    @user = User.create(params[:user])
    flash[:notice] = "The user was successfully created"
    redirect_to user_path(@user)
  end
end

I know I hate to see two lines of code where one makes sense – in this case what you’re saying is to “redirect to the new user page with the given notice message” – something that seems to make more sense as a singular command.

DHH seems to agree and has added :notice, :alert and :flash options to redirect_to to consolidate commands. :notice and :alert automatically sets the flash parameters of the same name and :flash let’s you get as specific as you want. For instance, to rewrite the above example:

class UsersController < ApplicationController
  def create
    @user = User.create(params[:user])
    redirect_to user_path(@user), :notice =>"The user was successfully created"
  end
end

Or to set a non :alert/:notice flash:

class UsersController < ApplicationController
  def create
    @user = User.create(params[:user])
    redirect_to user_path(@user), :flash => { :info => "The user was successfully created" }
  end
end

I’ve become accustomed to setting my flash messages in :error, :info and sometimes :notice making the choice to provide only :alert and :notice accessors fell somewhat constrained to me, but maybe I’m loopy in my choice of flash param names.

Whatever your naming scheme, enjoy the new one-line redirect!

tags: ruby, rubyonrails

Comments

1. mrkrisDecember 20, 2009 @ 01:38 PM

The functionality of redirect_to and flash should not be combined into a single method, it’s silly. Is it that difficult to build your own helper so the rest of us don’t have to deal with bloat?

2. Kevin TriplettDecember 20, 2009 @ 02:06 PM

Not sure this constitutes as bloat—without looking at the source it seems like a one line addition to Rails code. What it does is demystify flash and puts it into the context of a redirect.

My question is, what does this do with flash.now? Is that going to be included in this new “bloat?”

3. Rizwan RezaDecember 20, 2009 @ 02:15 PM

I guess it’s a matter of convenience to have them both in a single line. I am up for it since you hardly see flash alone in a Rails controller. Other than that, you can write them separately as well.

4. Thibaud Guillaume-GentilDecember 20, 2009 @ 02:47 PM

It’s would be nice if

class UsersController < ApplicationController def create @user = User.create(params[:user]) redirect_to user_path(@user), :notice => true end end

automatically look at ‘users.notice.flash’ in I18n locales.

5. DHHDecember 20, 2009 @ 07:40 PM

mrkris, you know that’s what we do in Rails, right? We spot commonalities from real applications in the wild and we extract those into reusable abstractions.

This is how this came to be. I was looking over the code in a new application and kept seeing this pattern. Then I looked at a bunch of other applications. Probably 80-90% of all flash usage in these applications followed this pattern of setting a notice or an alert just before a redirect. This embraces that pattern and makes it first class.

So if you consider abstractions like this bloat, I think you might be running with the wrong crowd. This is an archetypical definition of what we do in Rails.

6. grimenDecember 20, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

DHH, will flash.now follow the same pattern for render in controller? If not, what’s the motivation?

I like this feature, it really makes sense. I’m not really embracing the naming :alert/:notice, but I as you said in the GH comments it is possible to override. I’m not sure that 90% of Rails developers use:alert/:notice though. Anyway, no big issue.

7. ArieDecember 21, 2009 @ 03:31 AM

To Rails Core, Thank YOU for providing it!

I kept seeing this pattern over and over so I made my own bloated methods to support this for so many rails products I coded since 2006 only for this! Now I can start using it from its pure rails.

8. Steven HansenDecember 22, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

I don’t think adding this can be categorized as bloat, but I must admit it seems a bit odd, almost untasteful, to add this to redirect_to. But, given that I have a differing opinion on this particular issue, I’m probably running with the wrong crows ;-P

9. Steven HansenDecember 22, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

cah caw

10. Charlie MelbyeJanuary 03, 2010 @ 05:20 PM

I’ve always used flash[:error] as well. Maybe I’ll switch to :alert once this is in a stable release.

11. FooniaenemiugJanuary 05, 2010 @ 11:10 AM