What's New in Edge Rails: Merb!

at 3:16 PM on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

This feature is scheduled for: Rails v3.0

Wow, from the bombshell department comes the news that Rails and Merb will be merging to form Rails 3. It seems the Rails and Merb teams have acknowledged that there is good in both frameworks and that they can be combined into a singular web framework.

To be honest I don’t love the idea of having less choice in Ruby web-framework world. However, I do think this bodes well for Rails. We can only hope innovation stays alive within the combined team (and that their perspectives only enhance each other and don’t outright conflict).

Read what Yehuda, now a Rails core team member, Ezra, Carl and Matt have to say as well.

Little ‘ole Rails is definitely growing up – lots of big stuff coming in Rails 3…

tags: ruby, rubyonrails

Comments

1. CarlDecember 23, 2008 @ 03:32 PM

When I saw this I had to check my calender to make sure it wasn’t April 1st.

2. KevinKaskeDecember 23, 2008 @ 05:19 PM

WOW! That’s… just wow. I’m excited!

3. JobeDecember 23, 2008 @ 06:54 PM

“And he lead them to the promised land. They drank and ate until their thirst and hunger was quenched. They danced and sang and fashioned false idols of gold. It was only then, when they slept, satiated and exhausted from their long march, that DHH drew his sword and slaughtered the mighty tribe named Merb.”

4. ScottDecember 24, 2008 @ 01:56 AM

I’m starting to feel better about this. We’ve been making Rails and Merb apps for sometime now…. I like working with merb, and I was a little disappointed today that merb is turning into Rails. I guess that Rails is turning into Merb, so it’ll make creating Rails apps more fun again.

5. SteveDecember 26, 2008 @ 01:48 PM

That’s extremely interesting. Hopefully it will be a case of the best of both.

@Carl, I must admit I had a bit of a double take too.

6. Glenn GillenJanuary 08, 2009 @ 07:02 AM

I was a little the same at first. “You sure it’s not April 1?” Followed by “I hope someone else helps keep rails honest and innovation happening”. I guess that mantle falls to the likes of Sinatra now? Although it’s in a very slightly different space.