Rails 2.0 Final Released! - Summary of Features

at 7:43 AM on Friday, December 07, 2007

It appears that, after a short release candidate period, Rails 2.0 (.1) final has now been released. In celebration of such an event, I’ve compiled a list of all the features of Rails 2 that I’ve written about so far. Soak it in, baby.

Though I’ve made my best effort to keep all the feature descriptions up-to-date, I can’t guarantee their complete accuracy. For a more exhaustively and thoroughly vetted list of features presented in a more refined manner you may just have to suck it up and buy the Peepcode min-book PDF on Rails 2. “It’s good stuff”, says the author!

Major Rails 2 Features and Changes

(sorted by date added)

For another great feature overview, check out the official rails blog announcement.

Anybody ready for Rails 3?

tags: ruby, rubyonrails

Comments

1. crayzDecember 07, 2007 @ 09:24 AM

Not too fast, there’s a pretty serious bug in the 2.0 tag that’s resulted in a 2.0.1 tag prior to public release: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/8329

2. Chu YeowDecember 07, 2007 @ 09:47 AM

Yup it looks like it’ll be released as 2.0.1 due to the query cache bug. And it’s not released until the gems are available I imagine (or as they like to say, “photo or it didn’t happen”), but I have a feeling it’s happening today. DHH and co are probably preparing for it right now.

Anyway, nice list Ryan. Except you forgot to mention the parity of JSON serialization (like the stuff you mention in “A More Flexible to_xml”) as a major feature :(

3. Ryan DaigleDecember 07, 2007 @ 10:10 AM

Sorry Chu, I can’t catch em all!

4. Chu YeowDecember 07, 2007 @ 10:27 AM

You can now say it’s really released: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-it-s-done :)

Just kidding (about the sad smiley) – there’s just so many new changes in Rails 2.0 no one can really catch them all in a short blog post.

5. snookerDecember 10, 2007 @ 08:53 AM

smart pointers are C++ objects that simulate simple pointers by implementing operator-> and the unary operator*.

6. AkitaOnRailsDecember 10, 2007 @ 03:45 PM

These posts do helped me a lot! Congratulations!

I invite everybody to take a look at a screencast I’ve compiled yesterday. This is the classic Blog app built using Rails 2.0. I think it is the First Rails 2.0 full featured screencast around.

See it here

7. yudiDecember 12, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

man, I just got my Rails Space book a few days ago, now it’s outdated :-( Gotta keep up with edge repository huh

8. michalDecember 13, 2007 @ 12:59 PM

very good article … i have linked it on my blog webdevbros.net

9. yudiDecember 18, 2007 @ 02:35 AM

with Ryan’s permission, a Chinese translate of Rails 2 series is being published at

10. saurabh purnayeJanuary 30, 2008 @ 02:56 AM

thanks ryan.. you have really saved my time for research and development on rails 2.0